“Something Blue” has been an inspiration to brides for decades based on the English saying, “Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, a sixpence in your shoe.” The blue is specifically to symbolize the bride’s purity, love and fidelity and over the years we have seen some brilliant incorporations of blue into wedding days. From bridal shoes to wedding cakes, the classic blue has been showing up in color palettes in special ways and now is the perfect time to jump right in and infuse something blue into your wedding day!
Even if the English saying is not sticking with you, something blue is still such a fun way to add the perfect touch of sophistication or pop of color into your wedding day palette. Here are some of our favorite ways that couples that have incorporated something blue into their gorgeous wedding day and some suggestions to go along!
- Subtly painted onto the under heel of the shoes carrying you down the aisle or stitched into the heel itself. Can you spy something blue?
2. All out with a fully blue shoe creates the ultimate all blue accessory!
3. A blue heart with your soon-to-be’s name stitched into the skirts of your wedding dress. This is so touching!
4. Softly added into the details of the wedding dress. This also gives an off-white look for brides that do not want the all-white wedding dress!
5. As the bridesmaids’ dresses to make something blue the bold color in the wedding color palette.
6. Had a different color idea for the bridesmaid’s dresses? How about blue ties for the gents instead?
7. … or blue bowties!
8. For a more laidback something blue detail, just add a dash of blue in the Bridal Bouquet! Blue is a great accent color and makes the bouquet pop just that much more.
9. If you love the cascading ribbon look for your bouquet, make the ribbon blue. In the same way the light blue makes the bouquet above pop, the royal blue ribbon on this bouquet is eye catching!
10. Something blue in the engagement ring itself! This is ideal if your favorite color is blue and will be with you from the time you say “YES” to the heart warming “I DO!”
11. Double up the something blue with the dinner menu design and a cookie favor! Isn’t this cookie so cute and, not to mention, perfect for guests to slip into their purses or pockets as a midnight snack?
12. Just cannot get enough blue? Make blue bigger and boulder as the guest table linens themselves!
13. Blue napkins do just the trick to match the décor to the bridesmaids dresses or the Bridal Bouquet!
14. Finally, something blue added to the cake creates just the right depth of color!
Whether something blue is part of the English saying or your favorite color, blue is the all-time color to incorporate into your gorgeous wedding in one way or another. Now that your wheels are turning, we cannot wait to see the creative ways that you take the classic something blue and incorporate it into your big and beautiful wedding day!